Board Meeting Minutes - July 25, 2011
Board Members in Attendance: Tom Hoffmann, Debbie Paulding, Eric Paulding, Scott MacInnis, Ted Fisher, Gittel Price, William Helms, Nancy Mingo, Trish Young, Mark Walter
Meeting called to order at 7:11. Scott reviewed the minutes from the June 27 Board Meeting which were distributed prior. There were no comments or changes. Tom approved, Debbie second. Mark agreed to take minutes for the current meeting as Lynn was unable to attend.
Budget Review: Trish provided an updated accounting of the clubs income and expenses. Software is over budget but this was approved in a previous meeting. The annual seminar brought in $5646 and expenses related were $2125. There was 1 returned check and 1 “scam artist” who said they paid but didn’t (possibly same as last year). Someone may have an address/phone for another person that knows the scam artist so we may try to collect the funds through that route. The club recently paid $880 to ACP for the clubs fall show, Anna Lees and Chamber exhibits. Discussion on how to reflect the fees collected and funds paid, Trish will make changes. Trish is doing a great job with the budget!!
Action Item: Trish will display a copy of the current budget for members at each meeting.
Action Item: Gittel will secure new laser pointers for the meetings (taken at the seminar)
Action Item: Nancy will secure recyclable containers for the soda cans/water bottles as the church does not recycle.
Website Review: Eric stated that we have requested ability to display galleries on the website for 7 months and followed up as recently as 3 weeks with no response. Feedback from members, verbal and written, was discussed by many board members. Tom stated that gallery function does exist but not necessarily the way we want it to. Board agrees that we need to get this addressed soon because members are upset that their photos are not being promoted, including photographer of the year, who has nothing on our new website. Tom drew an example of how the gallery would work and the board agreed to see an example to review before it is put into place.
Action Item: Mark will email monthly print winners with instructions for submitting their images to be added to the website (once we have a solution available)
Action Item: Ted and Mark will determine the best way to share the digital submission files that are winners so they can be accessed by the board for the website and social media.
Action Item: Tom will create an example of gallery, by year and by month, which could be a solution and share with the board.
Seminar Review: Trish passed out a handout breaking down the seminar by lunch choice, payment type, city of residence, date paid and club affiliation. Most feedback was overwhelmingly positive. There were a couple of people who thought it was too much like a travelogue or did not provide enough detail around “how” to take photos. Board agreed that we need to define the type of seminar because everyone has their own opinion on what it will be. Essick discussed “how to tell a story through photographs” which was on the seminar information. Trish was given the OK to trash the individual forms as the data is captured in the spreadsheet.
Action Item: Trish to destroy paper forms.
Announcements Discussion: This was related to the Seminar above. Gittel expressed concern about individual announcements of other club seminars, events especially when they make derogatory statements about our seminar. Most agreed that we should limit open promotion of other club’s events but allow individuals to promote their efforts during announcements as well as through social media (Facebook, Twitter, Meetup, etc.). Information about other events can be placed on the table for others to pick up at meetings.
Membership Review: An updated Membership report was provided to the group by Nancy. 18 new members were added for the month and we beginning to bridge the gap between 2010 and 2011 membership. Nancy commented that the July seminar contributed to the 18 new members.
Action Item: None
Computer Lab Discussion: Tom did not place any calls. Gittel said that Tom needs to call Morgan (the man) to find space to keep the lab so we don’t have to tear it down.
Action Item: Tom will call Morgan (the man)
Fall Show Discussion: We will continue with the CD submission of images because of its success. CD’s are due by 9/12; selected images will be ready for notification on 9/19. The group agreed to keep the fee at last year’s rate of $30. To save costs, the group agreed to eliminate the certificate folders and just hand the certificates to the winners. In order to allow for timelier postcard/show announcements, board members image of choice will be used on the postcard/advertisement. Opening reception is 10/7; the show will be up from 10/7 until 11/18. Gittel, Trish and volunteers will also accept CDs at the RVAC on 9/10 from 10-12.
Action Item: All Board Members to submit one image to Gittel by 8/8 to be used on the postcard/flyer. The filename should be your name only, output at 300dpi and 2”x3”.
Action Item: Debbie will update the entry form/rules for 2011 to have on-hand at our 8/1 meeting.
UPS Car Show Discussion: At last years car show, the club setup and tent and sold prints but sales were dismal. The group agreed for this year’s event to be strictly a Field Trip to take photographs. Mark will organize and coordinate the event for the club. The car show is from 9-3. We will meet at 9 and members can stay as long as they want.
Action Item: Mark will update Meetup with new details
Action Item: Mark will create a sign-up sheet for the 8/1 meeting
NGCC Shoot Out Review: Shootout is scheduled for 10/1 at Cartersville in the Booth Museum. Eric and Debbie voiced their concerns from last years shootout as the lack of organization by the club was frustrating for submitting images and selecting images. Mark echoed similar frustrations from the prior year. Eric/Debbie/Mark gave feedback that 5 laptops (one for each category) need to be available for compiling images (not photo-editing). Someone from the club needs to organize the event to make sure there is a plan and members to fill the various roles. Gittel stressed that importance of having fun photographing each of the venues. Past attendees agreed that shooting the venues was fun, the afternoon image selection/process, etc. was the frustrating part.
Action Item: Tom will send Trish the form for the club payment $300
Action Item: Tom will announce the shootout at the 8/1 meeting
Action Item: Tom will create a sign-up sheet with a “have laptop” indicator
Minutes from Recent Board Meetings
- November 27, 2012
- July 24, 2012
- June 26, 2012
- May 15, 2012
- April 30, 2012
- March 19, 2012
- February 27, 2012
- July 25, 2011
- June 27, 2001
- March 22, 2011
- January 18, 2011
- December 22, 2010