Board Meeting Minutes - February 27, 2012
Roswell Photographic Society
Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 27, 2012
Held at RVAC
Board Members in Attendance:
Ted Fisher, Gittel Price, John Gurskey, Mark Walter, Frank Pavlik. Tom Hughes, Stanton Clay, Mike Geng, Brian Reeves, Eric Paulding
Meeting called to order at 7:05 pm. Ted provided the agenda in lieu of minutes from last meeting since there was not a secretary on board to take minutes. Also included in the document was a copy of the agenda for tonight’s meeting to help expedite the process.
First item on the agenda was the updating of the Membership form previously reviewed in last month’s meeting. Frank provided copies of the currently proposed 2012 membership form. The concern was whether all of the data was being used and if it was necessary to keep these sections on the form. It was determined that the data was being used on the website and the changes were accepted. Gittel made a motion to approve the 2012 form and seconded by Stan, all members approved.
Frank also mentioned that members need to be current to attend RPS events and shows. Some members were not current prior to the recent show and the list was being checked twice.
ACTION - Updated copies to be sent to Eric and Mark, web team.
ACTION - Ted make an announcement concerning Monies and Dues.
Speaker and Judge Review:
John reported that most of the speakers and judges for upcoming meetings have been assigned and only looking for a few more. Speakers need for July, August and November. Current considerations include a photojournalist working in Atlanta, High Museum contact, and professional photographer with experience publishing books.
ACTION - Follow up with potential speakers for monthly meetings and seminar.
Gittel reviewed current and previous processes, funding and needs for each of our yearly shows including Spring Colors, Heritage and new Lavender Festival. Want to thank Jan Martin - RVAC for all of her help. Current show had 57 entries photos are all up and on display in RVAC, no photo was taken of volunteers hanging but we thank them. Hoping for a large turn-out at the Heritage show since all members get a piece in and we had great attendance at the Roswell field trips.
ACTION - Thank Jan Martin for all of her help.
ACTION - Complete Heritage Show form.
ACTION - Thank volunteers for hanging current show, no photo available.
ACTION - Secretary print all certificates for all winners and honorable mentions.
We still do not have a commitment for a speaker at the annual seminar. Move to keep a new speaker that hasn’t presented before. Prefer to stay with one or two speakers at most one presenting in the am and other pm. Stan recommended possibly Canon and Nikon speakers and Gittel offered reaching out to Showcase. Ted recommended contacting some of the local schools SCAD, Circus, Art Institute.
When negotiating with speakers remind them we are a non-profit organization. Focus on speakers that will present quality information as an experienced speaker in hopes all attendees leave with positive inspiring results.
ACTION - All points bulletins for seminar speaker. Announcement in meeting.
Upcoming meeting this Wednesday Feb 29th in Marietta. John and Ted will attend this meeting.
Field Trips Discussion:
Looking to add more field trips this year. Mike volunteered to help out with the Tate House field trip due to conflict with Gittels schedule. March 31st includes Tate House and RR Train Depot.
Stan spoke with Jack Martin about Sloss Furnace visit this summer. Gittel schedule OCC in April and Gibbs gardens in March or April. Ted mentioned possibly adding calendar to include all upcoming meetups and potential locations (possibly bts). Ted said he would like to see multiple meetup fieldtrips every month.
ACTION - Gittel inform Keith Mendel about Gibbs Gardens.
ACTION - Behind the scenes calendar / list for potential meetups.
Mike reported everything is up to date. $4082 has come in for a total of $4500 YTD. (This did not include the recent shows payments and additional members for the last 2 weeks). Recent expenses $872 out including the new easel. As usual a bulk of the member money comes in at the first part of the year. As of today’s meeting Mike reported the Bank account balance at $8650. Member and expense money is good. Current monies to be added include “Expression of Light” show, Stan’s workshop as well as money from last photo review meeting.
Stan reported the recent Framing and matting workshop was a great success and Dick Blicks was a GREAT host. Next workshop TBD. Ted suggested making an announcement at next meeting for people will to teach. John volunteered to teach a Digital 101 , Camera basics class. Stan is planning another LR class. Potential for other classes include: Workflow and organization as well as a How to for Overseas Travel Photography (John). Eric suggested a Photodex class to teach members what to do with all of their photos (Slideshow program).
ACTION: Make announcement for teachers and instructors at next meeting.
ACTION: Determine next workshop.
Stan said the relocation of the computer lab is still up for discussion. Possibilities include Roswell Adult Center, Roswell Presbyterian Church, we have a new contact there Stanley Leary.
ACTION - Contact Stanley Leary at Roswell Presbyterian about comp lab.
Social media Update:
Mark stated that we now have 300 Facebook members. The Meetup group has added 51 members from December to February for a total of over 200 on Meetup. Currently have over 500 on the email newsletter.
Surveys from speakers and judges sent to select few. Mark will send to John and Hoke to send to respective speaker. Ted to mention “Thank you” to everyone for completing surveys at meeting.
ACTION - Mark continue to send survey results to John and Hoke to forward.
ACTION - Ted mention “Thank you”/ reminder for members to complete surveys.
Ted complemented on how great the website looks and functions and a big THANK YOU. Eric gave credit to Joseph Harlan for all the help on the site as well as Stan. Create an email distribution list for Jan Martin to help with sorting all winners and honorable mentions from photo review as well as Eric, Mark and Joe.
Tom said we need someone that can take the equipment (Laptop and Projector, etc) back to the RVAC building after our Monday night meetings.
ACTION - Mark will add to request email.
The RPS laptop and RPS project are calibrated to each other, that is all.
ACTION - Make an announcement about photo calibration in relation to projector.
All RPS members teaching a workshop at RVAC can be listed on website/email.
Ability to pay for summer seminar and fall show on RPS website with “Buttons” linking to Paypal.
Volunteers currently helping out with North Georgia Camera Club Council meetings include: Ted, John, Mark, Mike
Next meeting this Wednesday in Marietta, Mark to follow up with Ted and meeting and need to fill in.
Meeting concluded at 8:50 pm.
Minutes from Recent Board Meetings
- November 27, 2012
- July 24, 2012
- June 26, 2012
- May 15, 2012
- April 30, 2012
- March 19, 2012
- February 27, 2012
- July 25, 2011
- June 27, 2001
- March 22, 2011
- January 18, 2011
- December 22, 2010